Welcome to West Wyalong
"The town has its origins in the discovery of gold in 1893 and the availability of a good water supply at the White Tank. "
West Wyalong, is the administrative centre and largest town in the Bland Shire, which forms part of the Central West region of NSW. We are the meeting place of two major routes where for some distance the Newell and Mid Western Highways converge. We therefore have more accommodation for travellers and more shoping than you would expect in a town of just over 3,000 people.
The town has its origins in the discovery of gold in 1893 and the availability of a good water supply at the White Tank. By 1895 West Wyalong's streets were officialy laid out, but not on the usual grid, gold diggings, tents and tracks were already well established - hence the well loved twists and turns of our crooked Main Street. By the turn of the century our goldfield was one of the most productive in Australia
After a gap of almost 100years gold is mined again in the district contributing to the economy along with agricultural production and a healthy mix of businesses and services.
Proudly, the town is known for its friendliness - this is a community rich in hearts of gold.